Ipad Reading Assessment

My group and I chose to research the rising topic of Ipads, specifically for reading assessment. Our first steps were looking into the advantages and disadvantages of using Ipads in the classroom. We found several advantages as well as disadvantages.  One advantage was that it integrates technology into the classroom. It gives students a visual and hands on opportunity as well as being easy to use. Ipads also allows teachers to monitor class and individual progress, stay organized, and share their results immediately.  These were all some of the positive aspects of using Ipads for reading assessment in the classroom. However, we were also able to find some disadvantages. (17 Pros and Cons)

One disadvantage would be that Ipads are expensive and many schools cannot afford them. There is also the possibility of having technical difficulties when using them. Another reason Ipads may be difficult to use in the classroom is by having teachers who are uniformed and not willing to implement technology. Finally, there is very little research about Ipads and reading assessment because it is such a new topic and has not been around for very long. (17 Pros and Cons)

After my group and I researched the advantages and disadvantages, we looked into specific apps and assessments used on the Ipad. However, like I stated earlier, there is very little research on this topic. So we decided to interview Kori Heidebrink who was the NWC technology intern this summer. She explored several different reading assessment apps and told us that Read With Me Fluency was the one we should focus the most on. This app is a running record app that allows the teacher to check for fluency, comprehension, frustration level, RTI tiers, and reading level. It provides individualized and class data reports that are all in one central location. The results are immediate and the teacher is able to share this information with other teachers and parents.  Kori said, “It is the only app that I have found that I would use for reading assessment.” She was very informed about the app and advised us to try it out for ourselves. My group and I experimented with the app by pretending to be students and the teacher. We found it to be very easy and fun to use. “It’s easy to use, efficient, and provides the teacher with a lot of helpful information” Kori stated. However, the app does not let you select multiple errors when completing a running record. This could cause an issue when a student makes a mistake in more than one category. We also did not like how you had to test a student more than once to receive accurate results. All in all, it was a great app and my group and I thought we would use it in our future classrooms. (Read With Me)

Another app we looked into was called AIMS web. This specific app was difficult to research because we were not able to download it and use it ourselves. However, we talked to Cheryl DeJong who is a third grade teacher in a local elementary school who used the app in her classroom. She described it very positively as an app that can be used to calculate not only reading, but math and language arts as well. It requires administrative passcodes, but it is possible to purchase only parts of the app. The purchasing of this app would be school wide and not by just one teacher in his or her own classroom. Cheryl said, “Results are immediate and much easier and faster to use.” She liked the speediness and convenience the app provided her with. She also stated, “I like that I can test my students in the regular classroom.” Cheryl discussed the positive aspect of the app allowing her to test her own students. It saves time and gives her more knowledge of what reading level her students are at. The only disadvantage we found on this app would be that it requires a school decision and it is expensive. (Pearson)

Overall, we found that using Ipads in the classroom for reading assessment can be a huge advantage for both the teacher and the student if used properly. I would definitely use Ipads for reading in my future classroom and I am looking forward to learning about more research, apps, and technology that may help me make my classroom better.

Works Cited

17 Pros and Cons of Using iPads in the Classroom. (n.d.). Teachers With Apps – Because Not All Apps Are Created Equal. Retrieved October 6, 2013, from http://teacherswithapps.com/17-pros-and-cons-of-using-ipads-in-the-classroom/

Cheryl DeJong, 3rd Grade teacher at Edgerton Public School in Edgerton, Minnesota

Kori Heidebrink, NWC tech intern, summer 2013

Pearson. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.aimsweb.com

Read With Me – Reading Fluency Unleashed. (n.d.). Read With Me – Reading Fluency Unleashed. Retrieved October 6, 2013, from http://blog.readwithmeapp.com/